Well okay, so Penny didn’t have a feast. But my homework is late, and I hope the teacher won’t hold it against me too much. I intended to post last night after dinner at the home of some friends, but a nasty storm knocked out the power halfway through the meal. We finished in the beautiful ambience of candle light, and then returned to our own dark house. (And we promptly turned around and headed to Target. Because really, who wants to hang around a house with no lights, TV, or internet?) The power didn’t come back on until about 12:30 this morning. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.
Yes, this week’s Motif Monday theme is LOVE. But don’t worry—this post isn’t a sappy essay or poem that you’d find in some lame greeting card.
Love = Summer
Yes, that’s right. I LOVE summer. Good thing, too, because as of yesterday we have instant summer in PA. Hot and humid—we’ve got it all. Here’s a list of some of the things I love about summer:
- No school! Sadly, this one doesn’t apply to me anymore. If only work let out for the summer.
- The heat. It has to be 85 degrees or higher—otherwise, what’s the point?
- Humidity. In small doses.
- Central air conditioning. Mostly I don’t like it, but when you’ve got #3, ya gotta have #4.
- The smell of the hot pavement when the first few raindrops hit it.
- Thunderstorms. Unless they knock out the power and prevent me from posting to my blog.
- Lounging by the pool.
- Occasionally actually getting into the pool to cool off.
- Changing into dry clothes from a wet swimsuit. So simple, yet one of the best feelings in the world.
- Daylight ’til well after 9:00 (we can’t all have daylight ’til midnight like mrtl).
- Lightning bugs.
- Wearing shorts after dark and not being cold.
- Actually, “not being cold” is a reason of its own—dark or not.
- Late nights on the deck, enjoying margaritas and the company of good friends.
- S’mores. Mmmmm . . . can’t have a bonfire with no S’mores.
- Standing in the garden, eating peas straight from the pod.
- The smell of freshly-cut grass.
- The county fair. Or the State fair. If they’ve got “fair food,” I’m there.
- Lying on a blanket in the grass, watching fireworks overhead.
- Grilling, which leads to another thing I love: no cleanup in the kitchen!
- The sound of a baseball game on AM radio, as the audio backdrop for any of the above activities.
I’m sure I’ll think of more as soon as I post this. What are some things you love about summer?